It is never too late to start a new exercise routine in an effort to get fit or lose weight. However, there can be some pain that accompanies the beginning of workouts after a sedentary lifestyle. Watch out for sore joints and burning knees during your first few workouts. When these symptoms appear without a change in behavior or new activities, pay attention and contact us to make an appointment at our Johnson County area office to ensure the cause isn’t a progressive illness.
What is Bursitis?
Bursitis is the inflammation of one or more bursa. The bursae are small pads that are filled with fluid which sit between muscles, bones, ligaments, and tendons. Without these cushions, moving any joint would be excruciatingly painful as these bands would all rub together. Inflammation of the bursa sacks mean that joint movements are quite uncomfortable. While this isn’t a very serious disorder, it can be hard to treat if the cause is a chronic illness that you will have for the rest of your life.
There are over 150 bursae in the body, so the symptoms of this condition can pop up in nearly any major or minor joint. Some patients have just one toe or finger affected. Be on the look out for symptoms like:
- Pain and stiffness in the joint, suggesting inflammation
- Stinging or stabbing sensations when the joint is moved
- Irritation that increases with activity or exercise
- Loss of range of motion in a joint used repetitively
- Swelling that is often noticeable to the patient
Cause of Bursitis
The bursae found in the elbows, knees, and ankles are very sensitive to overuse. When you take up a new habit of running or working in an unusual way, you may feel complaints from joints that receive a lot of impacts and pressure. A fit of bursitis can be triggered by:
- Repetitive motions like swinging a bat or punching
- Resting your weight on your elbows for too long
- Sitting on hard surfaces for hours each day
- Auto accidents with traumatic injuries
- Over use and strain of the surrounding muscles, ligaments, and tendons
- Rheumatoid arthritis and gout
Since bursitis is usually just linked to a little too much exercise or a sports injury, many patients ignore the occasional outburst of it. However, more chronic symptoms could indicate permanent damage to the bursae or even infection in them. Failing to treat this kind of problem may lead to:
- Development of irritating crystals inside a bursa
- Loss of flexibility in one or more joints
- Burning and aching pain that is hard to relieve
- Infections that put the entire body at risk
Bursitis Treatment Options
Rest and recovery should relieve minor cases of bursitis. For symptoms that remain after a few days off of your feet, come into our clinic in Olathe for treatments like:
- Stretching to release tight tendons and ligaments pressing against bursae
- Recommendations for elevation and icing routines to reduce pain
- Sarapin injections directly into the sore joint
- Antibiotics if an infection is detected
- Exercise routines to help you get fit without irritating your joints further
Loosen Up With Massage And Pain Relief
Bursitis can put a quick stop to your dedication to getting fit or trying a new hobby. Renew your efforts towards your goal by eliminating the inflammation and reducing joint pain. Don’t let a minor injury turn into a chronic condition by avoiding care. Our team of chiropractic care experts will quickly determine the cause for bursae damage and create a series of complementary treatments designed for the fastest recovery. It is our goal to help you avoid surgery for bursitis.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, a member of the Olathe Chiropractic team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Olathe Chiropractic Team know how significant your Bursitis problem is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your Bursitis, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The Team at Olathe Chiropractic has a lot of experience with Bursitis, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about our Olathe Chiropractic. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your Bursitis. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, Bursitis is a fixable problem.
Free Bursitis Consultation
If you are suffering from Bursitis, the team at Olathe Chiropractic is ready to help. Olathe Chiropractic provides specialized treatment plans for Bursitis in Olathe and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (913) 764-9393 today to schedule your free consultation!