Are You Experiencing Numbness or Tingling?
The most frightening or alarming symptoms often have the simplest causes. Most people associate the terms numbness and tingling with very serious health problems like a stroke or heart attack. However, nerve compression and injury are far more likely to be behind symptoms that come on slowly or repeat randomly for weeks and months on end. If you are concerned that you are dealing with neuropathy or other common nerve issues, come in for an appointment at our Olathe office to determine the cause as quickly as possible.
What is Numbness & Tingling?
The twin symptoms of numbness and tingling are collectively known as paresthesia. This term includes other sensations like pins and needles, tickling, itching, or even burning. The loss of sensation in a limb or a large portion of the body can make it hard to stick with your daily routine. Everyone experiences these symptoms on a temporary basis when a limb falls asleep due to an awkward position. However, chronic numbness or tingling that returns regularly could indicate a condition that needs attention.
Numbness & Tingling Symptoms
When you visit our clinic to diagnosis a numbness problem, the medical professional examining you may ask questions like:
- Did it start gradually or suddenly?
- Does it affect one or both hands?
- Do you get woken up at night?
- Is it persistent or intermediate?
- Do you have an injury to your neck or upper shoulder?
- Is it relieved by resting and leisure time?
Cause of Numbness & Tingling
While some causes of these symptoms are relatively benign, others are serious. The exact combination of symptoms will tell the doctor what condition is most likely causing the problem. Once we narrow down the options, it isn’t hard to find the exact health concern. The most common causes include:
- Chronic conditions like diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and seizures
- High levels of vitamin B12, calcium, or potassium in your blood
- Raynaud’s phenomenon
- Herniated discs
- Nerve injury, compression, or even infection
- Medication side effects
- Underactive thyroid
- Bulging or herniated disk
- Dysfunction of the cervical spine
Numbness & Tingling Risks
Avoiding diagnosis when a little tingling or numbness sets in could leave you vulnerable to the ravages of atherosclerosis or a sudden stroke. Less serious symptoms are often triggered by problems like:
- Malnutrition or vitamin deficiencies
- Mercury exposure
- Anxiety and stress
- Nerve damage due to injury or withdrawal from medications
- Poor posture or a lack of ergonomics in your work space
- Exposure to stinging nettles or any food you are allergic to
- Damage to the myelin sheath around each nerve
Numbness & Tingling Treatment Options
The appropriate treatment to relieve numbness and tingling depends on the cause. If you seek non-surgical help in our office, you may receive:
- Chiropractic adjustments
- Massage therapy to restore sensation to the area
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation that can calm the affected nerves
- Gentle supplements and creams to treat the symptoms at the surface level
- Exercise and dietary advice to help you improve your general fitness
- Advanced Nerve Testing (NCV/EMG)
- Peripheral neuropathy treatment
Improve Your Coordination By Eliminating Numbness
If you find it hard to sleep because of burning or tingling feet, let our team in Olathe help you enjoy a restful night again. We provide both immediate and long term solutions for pain that don’t involve medication or surgery. However, our team still includes a medical doctor in case your problem is related to heart disease or diabetes instead. Don’t let burning or leg pain slow you down.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, a member of the Olathe Chiropractic team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Olathe Chiropractic Team know how significant your numbness and tingling problem is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your numbness and tingling, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The Team at Olathe Chiropractic has a lot of experience with numbness and tingling, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about Olathe Chiropractic. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your numbness and tingling. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, numbness and tingling is a fixable problem.
If you are suffering from numbness and tingling, the team at Olathe Chiropractic is ready to help. Olathe Chiropractic provides specialized treatment plans for numbness and tingling in Olathe and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (913) 764-9393 today to schedule your free consultation!