Lower back pain is one of the most common complaints made by patients who seek treatment at our Olathe office. The American Chiropractic Association reports that over 31 million people are experiencing this kind of irritation at any given moment. One common cause of low back pain is spinal stenosis, but this disorder can also cause pain and numbness anywhere along the spine.
What is Spinal Stenosis?
The spinal column consists of numerous vertebrae that rest upon each other with plenty of openings and gaps to accommodate the spinal cord and the nerves that connect with it. When something causes these openings to shrink, compression occurs that leads to pain and other symptoms. Some cases of spinal stenosis go undetected for years because they don’t cause any noticeable signs. There are numerous causes for this spine problem, and each distinct cause requires a different treatment and management approach.
Spinal Stenosis Symptoms
A complete lack of back pain doesn’t mean your spine is in perfect health. Diagnostic tests are important even for patients without symptoms because they can catch issues like this before they worsen. However, most patients with spinal stenosis experience:
- Pain and irritation that slowly develops in one or more regions of the spine
- Numbness and tingling in the back, shoulders, hips, or legs
- Radiating sensations down the limbs
- Weakness and cramping in the muscles
- Symptoms that worsen upon use or activity
Cause of Spinal Stenosis
Hunting down the true cause of your troublesome symptoms is required if you don’t want your pain to simply grow worse. We can help you determine if your spinal stenosis is linked to:
- Hereditary bone thickening disorders like achrondoplasia
- Ligament hardening due to age or heavy wear and tear on the spine
- Herniated and bulging discs
- Weaknesses in one section of the back due to muscle, ligament, or tendon injury
- Slipped vertebrae due to sports injuries or car accidents
- Degenerative diseases like osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
Spinal Stenosis Risks
Unlike some back problems, spinal stenosis usually can’t be avoided. It is more common in adults over the age of 50, and can be caused by unexpected car accidents or other injuries. No matter the cause, a serious case of spinal stenosis could lead to serious health risks like:
- Loss of mobility and bladder or bowel control in severe cases
- Development of bone spurs on the vertebrae
- Advanced nerve damage that leads to intense pain
- Paralysis if the major nerve roots are involved
Spinal Stenosis Treatment Options
If you treat the problem early, the conservative treatments we provide at our convenient Olathe location could be all you need. We will design a custom treatment plan that includes components like:
- Chiropractic adjustment that can release pressure on the nerves and realign your vertebrae
- Muscle manipulation through massage to reduce inflammation that is compressing an area
- Lumbar traction treatments to gentle stretch apart compressed sections of the spine
- Guided stretching and physical therapy exercises
- Inflammation injections to stop pain right at the source
- Cervical and lumbar decompression.
- Referrals for additional treatments if you are diagnosed with a chronic illness like rheumatoid arthritis
Conquer Your Spinal Stenosis With Proper Care
We are ready to help patients solve their spinal stenosis issues here at Olathe Chiropractic. There is no reason to let slipped vertebrae or bone deposits ruin your daily routine with chronic pain, numbness & tingling, and leg pain. Support overall spine health by seeking noninvasive treatments in our full service clinic, which is conveniently located for all residents of Olathe and surrounding areas of Johnson County, CA.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, a member of the Olathe Chiropractic team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Olathe Chiropractic Team know how significant your spinal stenosis problem is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your spinal stenosis, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The Team at Olathe Chiropractic has a lot of experience with spinal stenosis, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about Olathe Chiropractic. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your spinal stenosis. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, spinal stenosis is a fixable problem.
Free Spinal Stenosis Consultation
If you are suffering from spinal stenosis, the team at Olathe Chiropractic is ready to help. Olathe Chiropractic provides specialized treatment plans for spinal stenosis in Olathe and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (913) 839-8643 today to schedule your free consultation!