Suffering from Sinusitis?
Many patients assume that their nose and throat are the only passages that deliver air to the lungs, but the sinuses also play a crucial role. The sinuses are small open cavities located to the sides of the nose. The pink mucosa that line these openings help humidify the air you breathe in and trap particles that might irritate the lungs. Most people aren’t aware of their sinuses until an illness or allergy causes an uncomfortable reaction in the mucosa. If you have been experiencing throbbing or burning sinuses lately, you may be suffering from sinusitis. Visit our Olathe medical team to discover the cause behind your sore sinuses.
What is Sinusitis?
The mucosa that lines the sinuses can be irritated and inflamed by numerous causes. The term sinusitis simply describes swelling of the mucosa. It can be a symptom of many issues, but usually resolves itself without treatment in just a few days. When the area around your nose and forehead feels sore for weeks at a time, it is definitely time to seek a diagnosis and treatment at Olathe Chiropractic. Lingering or reoccurring sinusitis may indicate more serious issues that won’t simply go away on their own.
It is possible to suffer from sinusitis for years without noticing the problem. Minor swelling may not cause much irritation, and slightly sore sinuses may feel fine through most of the day. However, acute sinusitis is linked to more noticeable symptoms like:
- Difficulty breathing and general feelings of stuffiness in the nose and face
- Swelling around the nose and lower forehead
- Chronic pain or low to severe grade headaches with pain concentrated in the face and around the eyes
- Throbbing and burning sensations in the sinuses
- Yellow or green discharge out of the nostrils or down the throat
- Sensitivity to pressure around the sides of the nose
- Cough that is worse at night
Causes of Sinusitis
Causes for sinusitis range from very minor to severe health issues. Investigating a simple case of sinus pain could help you catch a serious issue early for prompt treatment. The symptoms could be linked to conditions that include:
- Infections ranging from an upper respiratory infection to the common cold
- Infected teeth or gum abscesses
- Allergies to environmental factors or pollen
- Smoking and exposure to second hand smoke
- Abnormalities of the sinuses such as a deviated septum
- Cystic fibrosis
- Polyps, tumors, and ulcerations in the mucosa
- Fungal infections due to long term mold exposure
It may be possible to resolve your chronic sinusitis with a few simple lifestyle changes to reduce the number of irritants you are exposed to on a daily basis. A simple dust mask could reduce chronic pain, but many causes require medical attention to resolve. You may be at a higher risk for the symptoms of sinusitis if you have other health concerns like:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease, which involves constant stomach acid contact with your throat and sinuses
- Daily exposure to irritants like pollen, chemical fumes, mold spores, or smoke
- Immune system disorders that cause the body to attack the sinus membranes
Sinusitis Treatment Options
Chronic sinusitis linked to allergies or asthma can often be treated at home with a nasal irrigation pot or saline sprays. However, overuse of these treatments may just increase the pain. We provide numerous treatments for sinusitis for our patients in the Olathe area that include:
- Prescriptions for nasal sprays with corticosteroids to soothe the irritation
- Allergy testing to determine if your pets or hobbies are causing the issue
- Immune therapy to lower reactions to irritants you simply can’t avoid
- Massage to help your sinuses drain, which can help even if you just have a simple cold
Stop Sniffling With Sinus Relief
There is no need to live with low grade and constant sinus pain and irritation. Sinusitis can be treated or relieved regardless of the cause, but only once we find the true cause of the problem. Schedule an appointment with Olathe Chiropractic as soon as possible if the swelling hasn’t gone down in a week, or if other troublesome symptoms like burning and discharge are disrupting your daily routine.
The Initial Visit
When you arrive for your first visit, a member of the Olathe Chiropractic team will spend time with you collecting your patient history. This information will help your Olathe Chiropractic Team know how significant your sinusitis problem is and how best to help you. As you get started with a treatment plan for your sinusitis, we will most likely give you some at home tips to be aware of. The Team at Olathe Chiropractic has a lot of experience with sinusitis, but we will also need your participation in your care for the best results.
Feel free to look at our testimonials page to see what others have said about Olathe Chiropractic. We’re proud to be part of their health care team. We want to thank you for considering us to help with your sinusitis. It does not have to be a life sentence. You don’t have to become another statistic, sinusitis is a fixable problem.
Free Sinusitis Consultation
If you are suffering from sinusitis, the team at Olathe Chiropractic is ready to help. Olathe Chiropractic provides specialized treatment plans for sinusitis in Olathe and can help you understand where your symptoms are coming from and what it will take to improve.
Call (913) 839-8643 today to schedule your free consultation!